THINGS I’M MAKING
- Smoo #4 is nearly complete. The artwork is done, and we’re just working on compiling it into a very nice new zine for all interested parties. Should be available for Thought Bubble (see below).
- In November, I’ll be following Derik Badman and other worthy artists into the #30DaysOfComics challenge. As the name suggests, the idea is to produce 1 page of comics everyday for each day in November. I was looking for an excuse to do something like this, and now I’ve found one. What will I draw? What will it look like? Will I manage it? The unresolvedness of those questions will keep you up at night, I am sure. I’m excited at the very least.
- Working on something quite different at the moment that might end up being a) my submission to Bearpit #3 or b) its own 8 page zine or c) cast aside like dandruff from a dark suit. Whatever. Some sort of preview might materialise here in the next few days (but don’t hold your breath).
- There’s something else very exciting but a little bit secret in the works, too. But that’s news for another day. Unless it doesn’t happen, in which case I’ll deny this post ever happened. Capisce?
WORDS OF WISDOM
- Do you like Lynda Barry? Good. Read this and remind yourself why. You don’t like Lynda Barry? Read the same thing and change your mind. It contains salient points about the need for self-reflection and reminds us that if somebody tells you that what you are doing isn’t art, or that you’re not allowed to consider yourself an artist, you can tell them in no uncertain terms to fuck right off.
- Nick will be tabling with Lando at the upcoming Comica Comiket. It is a free event at the Bishopsgate Institute, 230 Bishopsgate, London on Saturday November 12th from 11am to 6pm. I won’t be there, but my comics will be: copies of the Escapologist #1 and #2 will be on sale, as well as some other bits and bobs.
- The following weekend is Thought Bubble an excellent comic festival in Leeds. I’ll be there on Thursday 17th November giving a paper entitled “Rethinking the comics ‘community’: making, participation and the (de)construction of stigma” as part of the Comics Forum conference. Nick and I will then be selling comics galore on Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th November in Savilles Hall with lots of other folks.
…and that was the news.